I am an assistant professor
in Computer Science at NYU. Previously, I received my PhD from UC
Berkeley where I was advised by
Scott Shenker and worked in the NetSys
Lab. Even earlier, I received a Sc.B. with honors in Math-CS from Brown.
My research interests lie in finding lightweight mechanisms for achieving correctness in systems (broadly defined). My
dissertation looked at how to implement and
execute network functions; and how to verify correctness for
NFV (network function virtualization) deployments. A selection of past projects and publications
can be found on this site.
Before starting at NYU, I spent a year as a software developer at Nefeli Networks, a startup
focused on solutions for Network Function orchestration. Between Brown and Berkeley I spent a few years working on the Midori kernel at
I am looking for PhD students interested in working with me. I am specifically
looking for students who are interested in two areas: (a) correctness for distributed
systems, particularly ones running on heterogeneous hardware; and (b) how
applications can better use offloads including SmartNICs and programmable
switches, That said, I am broadly interested in any problem related to systems,
distributed systems, and networking and you can see some of the papers from the
last few years to see the kinds of problems I have worked on. The application
can be found here.
Like many other universities we do not require GRE scores for applicants in 2021.
- Cerebro: A Platform for Multi-Party Cryptographic Collaborative
Wenting Zheng, Ryan Deng, Weikeng Chen, Raluca Ada Popa, Aurojit Panda,
Ion Stoica. USENIX Security 2021.
- Bertha: Tunneling through the Network API Akshay Narayan, Aurojit Panda, Mohammad Alizadeh, Hari Balakrishnan, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Scott Shenker. HotNets 2020.
- Remote Memory Calls Emmanuel Amaro, Zhihong Luo, Amy Ousterhout, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Aurojit Panda, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott Shenker. HotNets 2020.
- Kappa: A Programming Framework for Serverless Computing Wen Zhang, Vivian Fang, Aurojit Panda, Scott Shenker. SOCC 2020.
- Making Edge-Computing Resilient Yotam Harchol, Aisha Mushtaq, Vivian Fang, James McCauley, Aurojit Panda, Scott Shenker. SOCC 2020.
- A Public Option for the Core Yotam Harchol, Dirk Bergemann, Nick Feamster, Eric Friedman, Arvind Krishnamurthy,
Aurojit Panda, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Michael Schapira and Scott Shenker. SIGCOMM 2020.
- EGGS: Sparsity-Specific Code Generation Xuan Tang, Teseo Schneider, Shoaib Kamil, Aurojit Panda, Jinyang Li,
Daniele Panozzo. SGP 2020.
- Multitenancy for Fast and Programmable Networks in the Cloud Tao Wang, Hang Zhu, Fabian Ruffy, Xin Jin, Anirudh
Sivaraman, Dan R.K. Ports, Aurojit Panda. HotCloud 2020.
- Can Far Memory Improve Job Throughput? Emmanuel Amaro, Christopher Branner-Augmon, Zhihong Luo,
Amy Ousterhout, Marcos K. Aguilera, Aurojit Panda, Sylvia Ratnasamy and Scott Shenker. EuroSys 2020.
- Network architecture in the age of programmability Anirudh Sivaraman, Thomas O. Mason, Aurojit Panda, Ravi Netravali,
Sai Anirudh Kondaveeti. CCR Editorial. January 2020.
- Revisiting Network Support for RDMA Radhika Mittal, Alex Shpiner, Aurojit Panda, Eithan Zahavi, Arvind
Krishnamurthy, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott Shenker. SIGCOMM 2018.
- Monarch: Gaining Command on Geo-Distributed Graph Analytics Anand Iyer, Aurojit Panda, Mosharaf
Chowdhury, Aditya Akella, Scott Shenker, Ion Stoica. HotCloud 2018.
- Bridging the GAP: Towards Approximate Graph Analytics Anand Iyer, Aurojit Panda, Shivaram Venkatraman,
Mosharaf Chowdhury, Aditya Akella, Scott Shenker, Ion Stoica. GRADES-NDA 2018.
- Network Evolution for DNNs Michael Chang, Aurojit Panda, Domenic Bottini, Lisa Jian, Pranay Kumar, Scott
Shenker. SysML 2018.
- Tasvir: Distributed Shared Memory for Machine Learning Amin Tootoonchian, Aurojit Panda, Aida Nematzadeh,
Scott Shenker. SysML 2018.
- ResQ: Enabling SLOs in Network Function Virtualization Amin Tootoonchian, Aurojit Panda, Chang Lan, Melvin
Walls, Katerina Argyraki, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott Shenker. NSDI 2018.
- Drizzle: Fast and Adaptable Stream Processing at Scale Shivaram Venkatraman, Aurojit Panda, Kay
Ousterhout, Michael Armbrust, Ali Ghodsi, Michael J. Franklin, Benjamin Recht, Ion Stoica. SOSP 2017.
- Verification in the Age of Microservices. Aurojit Panda, Mooly Sagiv, Scott Shenker. HotOS 2017.
- System Programming in Rust: Beyond Safety. Abhiram Balasubramnian, Marek S. Baranowski, Anton Burtsev, Aurojit Panda, Zvonimir Rakamaric, Leonid Ryzhyk. HotOS 2017.
- SCL: Simplfying Distributed SDN Control Planes. Aurojit Panda, Wenting Zheng, Xiaohe Hu, Arvind
Krishnamurthy, Scott Shenker. NSDI 2017.
- Verifying Reachability in Networks with Mutable Datapaths. Aurojit Panda, Ori Lahav, Katerina Argyraki,
Mooly Sagiv, Scott Shenker. NSDI 2017.
- NetBricks: Taking the V out of NFV. Aurojit Panda, Sangjin Han, Keon Jang, Melvin Walls, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott
Shenker. OSDI 2016 Project Page Slides
- Ivy: Interactive Verification of Parameterized Systems via Effectively Propositional Reasoning. Oded Padon, Kenneth
McMillan, Aurojit Panda, Mooly Sagiv, Sharon Shoham. PLDI 2016
- The Quest for Resilient (Static) Forwarding Tables. Marco Chiesa, Ilya Nikolavskiy, Slobodan Mirtovic, Aurojit Panda, Andrei Gurtov, Aleksander Madry, Michael Schapira, Scott Shenker. INFOCOMM 2016
- Minimizing Faulty Executions of Distributed Systems. Colin Scott, Aurojit Panda,
Vjekoslav Brajkovic, George Necula, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Scott Shenker. NSDI 2016
- Some Complexity Results for Stateful Network Verification. Yaron Velner, Kalev
Alpernas, Aurojit Panda, Alexander Rabinovich, Mooly Sagiv, Scott Shenker, Sharon Shoham. TACAS 2016
- Open Network Interfaces for Carrier Networks. Aurojit Panda, James McCauley, Amin
Tootoonchian, Justine Sherry, Teemu Koponen, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott Shenker. SIGCOMM CCR Jan. 2016
- E2: A Framework for NFV Applications. Shoumik Palkar, Chang Lan, Sangjin Han, Keon Jang,
Aurojit Panda, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Luigi Rizzo, Scott Shenker. SOSP 2015
- Rollback-Recovery for Middleboxes. Justine Sherry, Peter Xiang Gao, Soumya Basu,
Aurojit Panda, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Christian Maciocco, Maziar Manesh, João Martins, Sylvia Ratnasamy,
Luigi Rizzo, Scott Shenker. SIGCOMM 2015 (Best Student Paper)
- Route Bazaar: Automatic Interdomain Contract Negotiation. Ignacio Castro, Aurojit Panda,
Barath Raghavan, Scott Shenker, Sergey Gorinsky. HotOS 2015
- New Directions for Network Verification. Aurojit Panda, Katerina Argyraki, Mooly Sagiv,
Michael Schapira, Scott Shenker. SNAPL 2015 Slides: [pdf]
- PRAN: Programmable Radio Access Networks. Wenfei Wu, Li Erran Li, Aurojit
Panda, Scott Shenker. HotNets 2014
- The Power of Choice in Data-Aware Cluster Scheduling. Shivaram Venkatraman, Aurojit
Panda, Ganesh Ananthanarayanan, Michael Franklin, Ion Stoica. OSDI 2014
- Troubleshooting Blackbox SDN Control Software with Minimal Causal Sequences. Colin Scott,
Andreas Wundsam, Barath Raghavan, Aurojit Panda, Andrew Or, Jefferson Lai, Eugene Huang, Zhi Liu, Ahmed
El-Hassany, Sam Whitlock, H.B. Acharya, Kyriakos Zarifis, Scott Shenker. SIGCOMM 2014
- Network Support for Resource Disaggregation in Next-Generation Data Centers. Sangjin
Han, Nobert Egi, Aurojit Panda, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Guangyu Shi, Scott Shenker. HotNets 2013
- CAP for Networks. Aurojit Panda, Colin Scott, Ali Ghodsi, Teemu Koponen, Scott
Shenker. HotSDN 2013 Slides: [pdf]
- The Case for Tiny Tasks in Compute Clusters. Kay Ousterhout, Aurojit Panda, Josh Rosen, Shivaram Venkatraman,
Reynold Xin, Sylvia Ratnasamy, Scott Shenker, Ion Stoica. HotOS 2013
- HW Databases, Where art Thou?. Sangjin Han, Aurojit Panda, Sylvia Ratnasamy.
- BlinkDB: Queries with Bounded Errors and Bounded Response Times on Very Large Data. Sameer Agarwal, Barzan
Mozafari, Aurojit Panda, Henry Milner, Samuel Madden, Ion Stoica. EuroSys 2013 (Best Paper)
- Ensuring Connectivity via Data Plane Mechanisms. Junda Liu, Aurojit Panda, Ankit Singla, P. Brighten Godfrey,
Michael Schapira, Scott Shenker. NSDI 2013 Slides: [pdf]
- A New Approach to Interdomain Routing Based on Secure Multi-Party Computation.
Debayan Gupta, Aaron Segal, Aurojit Panda, Gil Sagev, Michael Schapira, Joan Feigenbaum, Jennifer Rexford, Scott
Shenker. HotNets 2012
- On the Resilience of Routing Tables. Joan Feigenbaum, P. Brighten Godfrey, Aurojit
Panda, Michael Schapira, Scott Shenker, Ankit Singla. PODC 2012
- NSDI 2019
- ANCS 2018
- KBNets 2018
- SecSoN 2018
- EuroSys Doctoral Workshop 2018
- MobiSys (Extended Review Committee) 2018
- SOSR 2018