Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science at the College of Arts and Sciences compared to a Bachelor of Science at the Tandon School of Engineering?
- A BA from CAS, requires fewer classes than a BS in the engineering school. Also, the required CAS core classes are from the humanities, whereas in Tandon there are many required science classes. There are more electives in CAS. Click here for more details.
What class can I register for if I have AP credit?
- If you have scored 4 or 5 on Computer Science AP exam and the credit is on your NYU transcript, you may register for CSCI-UA. 102, Data Structures.
- If you have scored 4 or 5 on Calculus AB exam and the credit is on your NYU transcript, you are exempt from taking MATH-UA. 121, Calculus I.
- If you have scored 5 on the Calculus BC exam and the credit is on your NYU transcript, you are exempt from taking MATH-UA. 122, Calculus II.
What class can I register for I have previous background on my own, but no formal courses or AP credit?
- We offer a placement test in 4 languages. If you pass the placement test, you can skip 0002 and go directly to 101. If you have a lot of background you can take a placement test for 101 and go directly to 102.
What class can I register for if I have IB Credit?
- If you have scored 6 or higher and the exam score is on your NYU transcript, you may register for CSCI-UA. 201, Computer Systems Organization.
May I take courses at Tandon or Tisch for my CS Major?
- Yes, with permission of the Director of Undergraduate Studies, a maximum of two courses outside of CAS can be applied towards the CS Major.
I am a transfer student, how many credits do I need to complete my major in CS?
- A minimum of 6 courses/24 credits must be completed in the Computer Science Department to satisfy the CS Major.
I am not a College of Arts and Sciences student, may I pursue a second major in Computer Science or a minor?
- Yes, you may pursue a second major. Please speak to your "Home School" to find out if you are eligible (enough elective credits to pursue a second major or minor) and the procedure on how to declare.
Where can I study abroad?
- The NYU campuses in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai offer computer science classes that are equivalent to ours. Some study abroad sites offer math classes, which can substitute for a CS elective.
Does an Independent Study or Internship count towards the CS Major?
- No, an Independent Study or an Internship will not count towards the CS Major. However, the credit will count towards your overall degree.
How many courses can I double/triple count towards my degree requirements?
- The Registrar's Office will allow students to double count a maximum of two courses towards their major(s) and/or minor(s).
- Please review the requirements for each department.
- A request to triple count a course, for example Calculus I, towards the CS major, Math minor and Business Studies minor would be denied. The student has two options, A: replace the required course with a higher level elective, that would be applied exclusively towards the major or minor, or B: drop one on the minors.