Travel Grants

The Department of Computer Science has limited funds available to support travel by graduate students to professional/scientific conferences related to their academic interests. Here are the rules and procedures needed to obtain travel support from the department:

  • You must first apply for a travel grant from the Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS), following the timing and procedures described here . Notice that depending on the date of the conference, the application might be due before notification of acceptance, so make sure to check the dates carefully.
  • If you have a specific faculty research advisor, you must first ask him or her for travel support.
  • The standard maximum amount of travel support provided by the department is $500. After travel is complete, original receipts for expenses to be reimbursed should be submitted to Timothy Mayrose or the administrative aide that works with your advisor. Please see the attached list here .
  • Preference is given to students who are presenting a talk or (to a lesser extent) a poster. Preference is also given to students who have not previously received departmental travel support. A maximum of two (2) departmental travel grants may be received by one individual during his/her time as a CS graduate student. Student Travel Grants are distributed based on funds available.
  • Requests for travel support should be submitted electronically to the Director of Graduate Studies-PhD program or the Director of Graduate Studies-MS Program, as appropriate. Each request must include:
    • The name of the conference to be attended, the dates of the conference, and its location.
    • A statement from the student explaining the relevance and importance of the conference.
    • A letter from the student's advisor confirming the relevance of the conference to the student.
    • The acknowledgement received from GSAS about the student's application for a GSAS travel grant (as per 1, above), and copies of correspondence with the student's research advisor (as per above).

Please direct any questions to your academic program advisor: