External Fellowships for Doctoral Students
Prospective PhD students as well as those already in the program are strongly encouraged to apply for external fellowships. In addition to the prestige associated with external support, the department's policy is to pay the student, whenever possible, a "supplement" that produces a 9-month stipend (during September-May) that is 25% higher than the standard departmental 9-month stipend.
The following is a (partial) list of external fellowships for doctoral students in computer science. Note that nominations for the IBM, Google, and Microsoft fellowships are submitted by the department, and the department can only nominate a limited number. Applications for the other fellowships are submitted by individual students.
- Bloomberg Data Science PhD Fellowship
- DOE CSGF (Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship)
- Facebook Fellowship Program
- Google PhD Fellowship Program
- Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship Award
- IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program
- Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Program
- Microsoft Research Women's Fellowship
- NDSEG (National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellowship)
- NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) Postgraduate Programs (for Canadians; particularly relevant is the PGS-D program)
- NSF GRFP (Graduate Research Fellowship Program)
- NVIDIA Graduate Fellowship Program
A list of past fellowship winners from the department can be found on the PhD student achievements page.
Other related resources:
- List of fellowship opportunities from Princeton University
- Fellowship information from the University of Washington