Maintaining Full-Time Equivalency

Students on F-1 and J-1 visas are required by law to have their full-time or full-time equivalent status posted early each fall and spring semester. NYU now automatically assigns full-time status to all graduate students registered for 9 credits.

There are typically two exceptions to the FTE requirement, described below, however you must receive specific permission from the OGS for this, by filing this online form .

Permission for PT enrollment is generally granted in these situations:

  1. First year students taking English proficiency classes may enroll part-time for courses in their major.
  2. Students in their last semster of study with fewer than 9 points to complete their degrees are entitled to enroll part-time for that one semester. Such students need to contact OGS to receive their part-time status approval.