Question about closing a chain of elastic bands -- and hatching eggs

Alex Galicki alex.galicki at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 8 00:28:05 EDT 2021

I believe your "link question" is a fairly basic knot theory question.

Your definition of a "*ring* of rubber bands" seems somewhat imprecise
to me. However, if we say that "ring" means the end result of the
procedure you have described ("if the last band added is cut before
the chain is closed and the
cut repaired afterwards"), then such a ring always contains a Hopf
link. Whereas anything you can concoct from n rubber bands without
cutting is always equivalent to the trivial link with n components.
See the following for some introduction to the knot theory:
https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/r.hepworth/pages/files/Knots_Notes.pdf