Question about closing a chain of elastic bands -- and hatching eggs

Alex Galicki alex.galicki at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 9 23:12:30 EDT 2021

You're correct, it's possible to create a "loop" without a Hopf link.
And if the goal is to have only such "connections" as on your picture,
there should be no Hopf links at all.

It seems to me that if there are no restrictions as to how to "cut and
repair" links, the problem becomes much more general than I thought:
how to distinguish a trivial link from a non-trivial one. In that
case, Jones polynomials certainly won't suffice. They might be
sufficient for distinguishing Brunnian link, I don't know.

However, after a wonderful session of procrastination, I found the
following paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1809.10334.pdf

Where it says: ``The sublink problem asks ”Given diagrams of two
links, is there a sublink of the first that is isotopic to the
second?” Lackenby showed that this problem is NP–hard using a Karp
reduction (see Section 3.1.2 in [7]) from the HAMILTONIAN PATH problem
[14]. Here we examine the UNLINK AS A SUBLINK problem, in which the
second link is an unlink. UNLINK AS A SUBLINK: given a diagram for a
link L and a positive integer k, is there a k-component sublink of L
that is an unlink?

Theorem 1. UNLINK AS A SUBLINK is NP–complete.''

So it seems the problem is definitely computable, possibly NP-complete
(if the arxiv paper is to be believed).