Don Pigozzi,

Martin Davis martin.david.davis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 19:27:29 EST 2021

I'm forwarding the following message from Clifford Bergman at the
suggestion of Dana Scott.

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Don Pigozzi, a
long-time member of the Department of Mathematics at Iowa State University
until his retirement in 2002. Don received his Ph.D. in 1970 under the
direction of Alfred Tarski. His research intersected several areas in
Universal Algebra and Computer Science. He is primarily responsible for the
explosion of interest in Algebraic Logic that continues to this day. Don's
personal influence and graciousness touched colleagues worldwide. We will
all miss our dear friend.

Don is survived by his wife Judy Casey, whom he married in 2000. After
retiring from ISU, they moved to Don's childhood home in the Oakland hills.

Clifford Bergman
Professor Emeritus
Department of Mathematics
Iowa State University