Partial answers to some old questions about proof assistants

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 10:50:28 EST 2021

The belief you refer to may have come from the type theory world and probably refers to the idea that computer verification of a proof can deliver a certificate that can be checked, independently of the original verification software. This is true of many current systems, but there is no reason to believe that the certificate will be concise and capable of being checked quickly: though at least it could be checked more quickly than repeating the computer verification from scratch.

As there is no agreed format for such certificates, this approach cannot work when (as in the case of Flyspeck) different interactive theorem provers were used for different parts of the proof.

In fact these certificates turn out to be extremely large, which is why some of us prefer to do without them altogether.

Larry Paulson