[FOM] Talk on Formal Verification

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 29 16:22:12 EST 2016

Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> Here is my attempt at answering some of the questions posed by this
> keynote lecture.
>
> IS THE SIZE OF PURELY FORMAL PROOFS OBTAINED FROM
> SEMIFORMAL PROOFS OF MAJOR THEOREMS REASONABLE? E.G., AT
> MOST TEN THOUSAND PRINTED PAGES? OR IS THERE AN EXPONENTIAL
> TYPE BLOWUP INVOLVED WHEN WE MOVE FROM THE USUAL SEMIFORMAL
> PROOFS CREATED BY MATHEMATICIANS TO A FORMAL PROOF?
>
> This is sometimes called the "de Bruijn factor?, after NG de Bruijn, who
> posed a similar question in relation to his AUTOMATH system. Generally
> the blowup is regarded as tolerable.

I've mentioned this point before but it seems worth repeating.  The right
way to think about a "semiformal proof" is not as a few hundred pages of
handwritten text.  A typical semiformal proof of a major theorem should,
nowadays, be thought of as including a few hundred CPU hours of
computation with commercial software on a machine with a few terabytes of
space.  The relevant question is how much of a blowup is involved in
converting the "standard" computation into a fully formalized one.  Note
that the semiformal proof may in turn cite many other semiformally proved
theorems with similar computational requirements.  If I cite the Kepler
conjecture in my semiformal proof, does the formal verification of my
theorem require re-running the Flyspeck computation?  We probably want the
answer to be no, but then a new knowledge management problem creeps in if
we maintain a large database of results that have supposedly been formally
verified but that are never checked again.

Tim