Interesting article on progress in automated reasoning

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 02:54:46 EST 2021

Briefly. I have become disappointed and skeptical of Quanta. They seem to
be quite gullible and willing to print a story on "how AI/ML is now finally
doing breakthroughs in math" every year. Uncritical consumers of the hype
coming out of the well organized AI-company PR departments.

Here is a part of a 4-page rebuttal I wrote them last year:
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/coq-club/2020-09/msg00017.html .

More recent comments on the use of language modelling are here:
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/coq-club/2021-08/msg00047.html .

And a discussion of what models like GPT can and cannot do based on a
simple GPT "formal proof" example is at https://youtu.be/E7kbK9m3g-U?t=30974
.

Josef