Interesting article on progress in automated reasoning

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Wed Dec 8 20:30:17 EST 2021

Sam Sanders wrote:
>> The article also implies that the proof of the four-colour theorem
>> is controversial (another assertion by Michael Harris).
>
> That is indeed absurd, unless arguments were given.

In general, I find myself often disagreeing with Michael Harris, but
here's the exact quote from the Quanta Magazine article:

> The computer code proving the four-color theorem, which was settled more
> than 40 years ago, was impossible for humans to check on their own.
> "Mathematicians have been arguing ever since whether or not it's a
> proof," said the mathematician Michael Harris of Columbia University.

Without further information, I would not reject Harris's statement here as
absurd.  As I read it, what is being referred to here is the original
Appel-Haken-Koch proof.  As far as I'm concerned, it's fair game to argue
whether that was really a proof.  There were something like 400 pages on
microfilm tucked into a pocket on the inside back cover of the journal,
containing innumerable hand-drawn diagrams.  I don't know if anyone ever
went through them all; there was a serious effort at one point to check
them, which uncovered numerous errors.  Robertson-Seymour-Thomas was
partly motivated by the hopelessly messy state of the proof, which they
gave up trying to verify, in favor of creating a new proof based on the
same ideas.

This might not have been Harris's objection, but again, purely on the
basis of what is written in the article, I don't see any reason to reject
the statement attributed to Michael Harris as absurd.

Tim