Interesting article on progress in automated reasoning

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Sun Dec 12 10:29:33 EST 2021

Josef Urban wrote:

> Briefly. I have become disappointed and skeptical of Quanta. They seem to
> be quite gullible and willing to print a story on "how AI/ML is now finally
> doing breakthroughs in math" every year. Uncritical consumers of the hype
> coming out of the well organized AI-company PR departments.

Their article quotes you as saying, “It seems that we are not yet capable
of proving the more interesting conjectures.” I'm not sure exactly what
more you expect from Quanta?  Their job is primarily to report, not to
evaluate.  The article does report the views of some other skeptics, so I
don't see them as "uncritical consumers."  If they were more critical of
the hype, they could be accused of being uncritical consumers of the
anti-hype coming from skeptics.

Tim