Question about AC

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Wed May 13 09:34:17 EDT 2020

Yes, but the motivating problem is to find a group  of order >=3 with no nontrivial automorphisms. If the factor groups are all order 3 and you take a direct product or direct sum, then sending every element to its inverse works. If the group is nonabelian it may not be a product but that isn’t needed because you can conjugate by an element not in the center.

I wonder how easy it is to classify groups whose automorphism group has order 2. For finitely generated groups this is very easy but there could be a lot of infinitely generated ones.

Automorphism groups of odd order seem very rare.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone