Question about AC

katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il katzmik at macs.biu.ac.il
Wed May 13 08:38:27 EDT 2020

I was thinking of a possible counterexample in the spirit of Russellian pairs
of socks (I hope the attribution is correct).  If one takes an infinite
collection of groups, each isomorphic to Z/3Z, but in such a way that the
non-dentity elements are not distinguished in any way, then the product of all
these groups will possibly give a counterexample.  Namely, a particular Z/3Z
surely has a complementary group but it seems to me in order to choose such a
complementary group one may need to invoke a weak form of AC.  But perhaps
there is a way of doing it differently.  MK