Question about AC

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Thu May 14 01:53:43 EDT 2020

Dear JS and MK, Dear all,

Let me share an experience with you.

We've been working with quantales, and now also finite quantales when we
come to real-world applications. Doing that I realized we need and want
to see all quantales for n=3,4,5,... . For n=3 there are 12
(non-isomorphic) one, for n=4 129, n=5 1852, n=6 33391, and so on. We
presently work to show all quantales for n=7 and n=8. For up to 6, the
Catalogue is found at

   http://glioc.com/algebra/

and once we have worked out n=7 and n=8, I guess by June, that extension
will be published at the same site. Going up to a bit larger n brings in
new wishes, like now wanting to see dualizing elements based on
residuation/implication.

Not going into particular applications, and why we do it, but the
experience shared is that we can is some cases (smaller n) replace
"seem" in "seem very rare" with something more precise (sometimes it's
not as rare as we might think, or conversely). We also arrive at more
practical understanding e.g. about products of quantales and modules
involving quantales. As there are so many of them, and many look quite
natural and useful, one starts to wonder what it looks like in real
life, e.g. concerning sequences and sequencing. Are there naturally
canonic ones, and if so, in what sense?

Doing so also makes one curious about things like "operators operate on
operators" (can even be understood as term functors over Kleisli
categories of other term monads; crazy idea, I guess, but why not?), and
how such things appear in nature.

We've been using e.g. mace4 to generate the raw material, and then we
add code to check for particular algebraic properties. This is indeed
done on our side only for quantales, but can be done similarly with any
structure of your choice.

What I say is that people seems (!) to work with finite structures
without actually looking at them more broadly and comparatively. Which
brings me to warmly recommend sometimes actually to look at them, all of
them.

Best,

Patrik