[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Sat Jan 18 04:37:08 EST 2020

> It might help if more mathematicians were familiar with some basic
> principles of computer science.

I agree, but I would like to add that it also might help if computer
scientists were familiar with some basic principles in mathematics.

Coding one thing in terms of another is very acceptable in computer
science, since "code" (in a language) and "algorithm" (in a machine) are
very acceptable. Mixing languages and bringing in things from the
outside is very typical in computer science, but very dubious in
mathematics. A typical example of bringing in things from the outside is
the function type constructor. Where does it come from? Did it come from
the same factory as the types? Another example is 'lambda term'.
Computer scientists accept that the "elegant definition" of a lambda
term should not be modified, even if, when eventually dealing with
substitution, it leads to having "undesirable terms" which need to be
handle by "renaming". Computer scientists simply find ways to code one
thing in terms of another. "Free and bound variables" is an awful
concept, since some symbols, in fact the informal ones, possess a
capacity to "bind", a notion which seemingly is not describable in any
language but the natural one.

---

Types are missing in set theory, and there are approaches to fix that.
Category is "too algebraic" (MacClone) about adding "monoidal" (yes,
categorists also encode one thing using another thing), but the
practical use of may be on its way ("what we want to do with it"). Type
theory does not have a proper internalization of type constructors (they
are brought in from the outside).

---

Having said that, my conviction and suggestion is that set, category and
type theory should really engage in dialogue and communication, rather
than debate and competition. It's been too many decades of foundations
of foundations being claimed not being found over there but over here.
It's time to turn page, and move towards the "big cultural difference"
being a "big culture" rather than a "cultural difference".

---

Best,

Patrik