[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Sam Sanders sasander at me.com
Sat Jan 18 06:33:38 EST 2020

Dear Larry,

While I agree that it would be helpful that mathematicians knew some basic CS (and the same perhaps for basic physics),
it should be noted that even coding continuous functions causes problems in e.g. reverse mathematics, as explored by
myself in the following note:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.07913

In a nutshell, the logical strength of basic theorems of ordinary mathematics varies a lot based on whether
we use “second-order codes for continuous functions" or “third-order functions that are continuous in the usual sense”.

The difference for a well-known version of the Tietze extension theorem is "provable in Kohlenbach's base theory" vs "equivalent to ACA_0”.

Similar results are obtained for Ekeland’s variational principle, with a more dramatic difference in strength (crossing the boundary of the impredicative).

My results are quite basic: they essentially go back to Kohlenbach’s formalisation of Grilliot’s trick and are not earth shattering
in any technical sense.   On a conceptual level, the sky just fell on your head if you take seriously the following claim concerning reverse math:

"Such a procedure may be appropriate for
Bishop since his goal is to replace ordinary mathematical theorems by
their “constructive” counterparts. However, as explained in chapter I,
our goal is quite different. Namely, we seek to draw out the set existence
assumptions which are implicit in the ordinary mathematical theorems
as they stand. "

(“as they stand” is italicised in the original, SOSOA, p. 137)

Best,

Sam

PS: The aforementioned results regarding Ekeland’s variational principle are formulated over Baire and Cantor space.
Lest we go off on a tangent here, let me be absolutely clear: the coding of real numbers has nothing to do with the observed
“coding problems” of Ekeland’s variational principle: it is exclusively a problem of coding continuous functions.