[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 17 06:00:23 EST 2020

It might help if more mathematicians were familiar with some basic principles of computer science. To a computer scientist, it's natural that a say a graphics application might be built on top of certain data structures or libraries for computer graphics, which in turn are built on lower-level numerical libraries, and so on down until raw binary is reached. For mathematics, ZFC typically serves as the equivalent of binary, while category theory, et cetera, are the libraries.

I think there is a big cultural difference here. I've read an account of Gödel's theorem that devoted much space to the concept of Gödel-numbering, when coding one thing in terms of another is as natural as breathing to a computer scientist.

Larry Paulson