[FOM] Improving set theory

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 16:51:55 EST 2020

 FOM:
I would maintain that the classical position is "yes".  The "set building" axioms, e.g. pairing, are universally quantified.  They are natural and typical of other "formation" axioms, such as the successor function of arithmetic.   It is a distinguishing fact about set theory that the totality of sets is different from tamer universes of discourse, and as a result it is necessary to use caution.  Cantor held this view in later writings (although I'd have to look up a reference - van Heijenoort perhaps).  I suspect many working set theorists do.
- Martin Dowd