[FOM] Improving set theory

Paul Blain Levy p.b.levy at cs.bham.ac.uk
Mon Jan 13 13:13:38 EST 2020

Dear Joe,

Consider the following ZFC theorems:

(1) Borel determinacy

(2) The set V_{omega_1} is well-orderable.

These are not theorems of ZC.  (Harvey proved that for Borel determinacy.)

But they are theorems of TOCS, a new system* that I advocate instead of
ZFC.  See here:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.02718

No inaccessible cardinal is required to prove them.  TOCS is just a
subsystem of ZFC (or can be seen as such).

To repeat, I do not criticize the axioms of ZFC (such as Replacement).
It's the *language* of ZFC that is problematic, because of the
unrestricted quantification.

Paul

* I am changing the name from TOPS to TOCS, which stands for "Theory of
constructed sets".