[FOM] Improving Set Theory

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Mon Jan 13 18:07:31 EST 2020

Harvey Friedman wrote:

> I gather from some comments I have seen that there is a bit of a crisis,
> with regard to Proof Assistants aimed at creating formal proofs.
>
> The fact that it can be done with some practicality for big deep
> theorems was an impressive achievement. There seems to be some
> skepticism that one can get together the resources necessary to do it
> for the biggest deepest theorems - being hard to argue on the basis of
> need and major consequence. (I am distinguishing this from Proof
> Assistance aimed at verifying the correctness of engineering systems).

I'd be curious to hear more about this alleged "crisis."

There are various possible obstacles to scaling up from the current
situation to a situation where all or most of mathematics is routinely
formalized.

For example, there are sociological obstacles that have next to nothing to
do with the technical merits of proof assistants.  There is very little
reward, in terms of jobs, awards, and promotions, for learning how to use
a proof assistant and formalizing proofs of one's own theorems in them.
Also, the existing documentation is still poor, at least from the point of
view of a mathematician.

Another possible obstacle, which sounds like what Harvey is talking about,
is the existence of specific theorems or bodies of knowledge that present
technical obstacles for existing proof assistants.  I've heard a little
bit about such things, but not too much, and what I've heard does not
suggest that types are the problem and we should switch to sets.  If some
people are saying that, I'd like to hear more details.

Below, I quote (with permission) some remarks by Kevin Buzzard about where
things currently stand, from his perspective as a number theorist who has
only recently jumped into the proof assistant game.  For context, I was
asking him why he was proposing Lean as opposed to Coq or HOL or something
else.

I believe that Jeremy Avigad has been involved with Lean so I would be
particularly interested to hear his perspective.

Tim