[FOM] Transfinite Recursion in Functional Analysis and Measure Theory

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 18:20:09 EST 2019

In my thesis I gave a very general version of such a construction. In an n-dimensional product of Polish spaces (a weaker criterion than Polish also works), you can construct a set whose n! iterated integrals have arbitrary values, if the continuum is a chain of measure-0 sets (that is, it can be expressed as a transfinite union of measure-0 sets of which any non-cofinal subunion has measure 0). This condition follows from CH or Martin’s axiom or a number of other known independent statements, and contradicts the alternative independent “Fubini axioms” under which any iterated integrals that exist must be equal. The n-dimensional Fubini axiom states that there exist uncountable cardinals k1<k2<...<k_n<=c such that there is a nonmeasurable set of cardinality k1 and for i=2...n there is a set of cardinality k_i which is not the union of k_(i-1) measure-0 sets. These follow from the existence of a real valued measurable cardinal, and are consistent with ZFC.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone