[FOM] Transfinite Recursion in Functional Analysis and Measure Theory

WILLIAM TAIT williamtait at mac.com
Wed Jan 30 11:47:07 EST 2019

I remember that, in a course on measure theory by Kakutani in 1956, he assumed the continuum hypothesis and proved that a certain kind of measure could be extended from an open set U in Euclidean n-space E to the whole space. The construction was by taking an enumeration x_{alpha} (alpha < gamma for some gamma <=omega_1) of E/U and extending the measure to x_{alpha} at the alpha’th stage—-a transfinite recursion. But I don’t remember the details beyond this. I still have notes from the course, but they are unreadable (at least for me) now.

Bill Tait

Sent from my iPad