[FOM] Transfinite Recursion in Functional Analysis and Measure Theory

Jeffry Hirst hirstjl at appstate.edu
Wed Jan 30 15:24:38 EST 2019

As pointed out by Kenny Easwaran, there is a connection between derived sequences
and transfinite recursion.  In the reverse mathematics setting, the arithmetical transfinite
recursion scheme (ATR0) has been shown to be equivalent to the existence of derived
sequences.  The proof appears in

Harvey Friedman and Jeff Hirst, Reverse mathematics of homeomorphic embeddings,
The Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, 54, (1991) 229-253.

and the reversal appears in

Jeff Hirst, Derived sequences and reverse mathematics, Mathematical Logic Quarterly,
39 (1993), 443-449.

Equivalences with ATR0 have been found for many theorems.  A good place to start
is Chapter V of Steve Simpson’s book, Subsystems of Second Order Arithmetic.

-Jeff Hirst