[FOM] Transfinite Recursion in Functional Analysis and Measure Theory

Bartosz Wcisło bar.wcislo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 03:18:05 EST 2019

This might be well-known, but suppose that you want to construct a real
function with non-measurable graph. First, such a function cannot have
positive measure by Fubini's theorem. So it's enough to make sure that this
function is not measure 0.

You enumerate all open sets U_alpha in the product of reals of measure less
than 1 (there are only continuum many of them) and you want to construct a
function whose graph avoid all these sets. This can be carried out by
transfinite induction: at alpha-th step you make sure that your domain will
contain x_alpha and that the graph will avoid U_alpha.

Best regards,
Bartosz Wcisło