[FOM] axiomatisations of PA

UCKELMAN, SARA L. s.l.uckelman at durham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 6 09:11:22 EST 2019

Hi all,
I've got a 3rd year philosophy undergrad working on notions of
descriptive completeness, and he keeps turning up to my office hours
with questions that I can't _quite_ answer simply because I don't have
the right breadth.

Today he was asking about the variety of axiomatisations of PA, some of
which use the notion of "natural number" directly in the axioms, while
others (e.g., the one used by Goldstern & Judah) have axioms governing
each of the mathematical functions + induction.

Has anyone ever written on the development of axiomatisations of PA,
from a moderately historical, rather than mathematical, perspective?
I'd love to be able to give him something that traces who developed
which axiomatisations and when and why, keeping in mind that he's not a
hard-core mathematician.  This strikes me as the sort of thing that
surely someone has written a PhD thesis on sometime (and if not, someone
should!).

Cheers,
-Sara

--
Dr. Sara L. Uckelman
Department of Philosophy

The Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources
http://dmnes.org/