[FOM] Second-order logic and neo-logicism

Ran Lanzet lanzetr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 12:25:51 EDT 2015

I am probably missing something here, and will be glad if you could clarify.

As far as I understand, your main argument against neo-logicism is roughly this:
1. The rules of 2nd-order logic (SOL) employed by the neo-logicist are very strong, in the sense of entailing some serious mathematical content. In particular:
	a. They are provably equivalent to the "basic rules" of SOL plus the unrestricted impredicative comprehension scheme.
	b. Once we accept those rules as the background logic, we get immediately from the very weak Q+ to the very strong PA2.
2. Hence, it does not seem reasonable to accept the neo-logicist's version of SOL as logic.

Now I believe the neo-logicist would happily accept (1): after all, her basic claim is that, essentially, all of ordinary mathematics is derivable from logic (more precisely: from her favorite version of SOL plus Hume's principle (HP); and I'm sure she will happily accept that SOL and not HP does the majority of work here). She will, though, undoubtedly object to your step from (1) to (2). She might argue as follows: the move from (1) to (2) is unwarranted, unless we accept the following principle:
(*) 	if a set of rules entails substantial mathematical theorems, then it is unreasonable to regard that set of rules as part of logic.
But accepting this principle -- so she might argue -- is to beg the question against logicism.

Question: what did I miss here? Or, more specifically: why is the suggested reply ineffective against your argument?

Best,
Ran