[FOM] The Life and Work of Leon Henkin. Essays on His Contributions

Maria Manzano mara at usal.es
Sun Mar 22 12:58:50 EDT 2015

We are glad to announce the launching of the book

The Life and Work of Leon Henkin
Essays on His Contributions
Manzano, María, Sain, Ildikó, Alonso, Enrique (Eds.)
http://www.springer.com/birkhauser/mathematics/book/978-3-319-09718-3
The papers are individually available here:
http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-09719-0

María Manzano
Enrique Alonso
Ildikó Sain
Editors

From the preface:

Leon Henkin (1921-2006) was an extraordinary logician and an excellent teacher. His writings became influential from the very start of his career with his doctoral thesis, The completeness of formal systems, defended in 1947 under the direction of Alonzo Church.

Answering an invitation from Alfred Tarski, Henkin joined the Mathematics Department in Berkeley (University of California) in 1953. When Tarski and Henkin were able to assemble a number of logicians from the Department of Mathematics and Philosophy, they created an interdepartmental agency, the very famous Group in Logic and the Methodology of Science. He stayed with the Department until 1991, when he retired and became an Emeritus Professor.

Henkin was often described as a social activist, he labored much of his career to boost the number of women and underrepresented minorities in the upper echelons of mathematics. He was also very aware that we are beings immersed in the crucible of history from which we find it hard to escape.