[FOM] Book on the history of logic?

Sara Negri sara.negri at helsinki.fi
Tue Feb 15 07:16:02 EST 2011

Dear FOMs:

About the history of logic: There came out in 2009 the fifth volume of
the "Handbook of
the History of Logic," edited by Dov Gabbay and John Woods, and
dedicated to "Logic From
Russell To Church." In its over  thousand pages, there are seventeen
in-depth articles
about the main actors of the period.

Another book of the same year is "The Development of Modern Logic,"
(ed Haaparanta,
Oxford U.P.). Inside its almost thousand pages there is a little
independent book, "The
Development of Mathematical Logic from Russell to Tarski, 1900-1935."
This 150-page piece
was written by Paolo Mancosu, Richard Zach, and Calixto Badesa. It
promises to give "nine
itineraries in the history of mathematical logic;" one can choose
materials from these
for a course and thereby give an emphasis one wants to, say set
theory, axiomatic
developments, intuitionism, etc. (The authors may have dropped one
itinerary, there are
eight as it stands.)

Oxford would do well to publish this contribution as a separate
paperback for course use,
thank you in advance, and thanks for the authors and editor!

Jan von Plato