[FOM] Re: Reply to Franzen, Heck, Davis

Torkel Franzen torkel at sm.luth.se
Tue Apr 22 01:22:42 EDT 2003

Hartley Slater says:

 >Unfortunately, there is another option for substitution than the ones
 >you have considered, so it would certainly be best if the intended
 >reading was precisely indicated.

  Alternative readings can always be imagined.  I claim that in
actuality, anybody who has a general acquaintance with Gödel's theorem
and philosophical discussion of it will know how "if G then G is
provable" is to be understood in my comments. Similarly in a host of
contexts where we (logicians, philosophers, mathematicians) use
informal or incomplete notation. On the other hand, when actual as
opposed to merely conceivable misinterpretations, unclarities,
ambiguities manifest themselves, we will adjust our notation and
expand our explanations as needed.

---
Torkel Franzen