[FOM] Reply to Franzen, Heck, Davis

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 00:50:47 EDT 2003

Torkel Franzen replies to Dean Buckner (FOM Digest Vol 4 Issue 21):

>  In your earlier message to the list, you substituted a sentence for
>the first occurrence of "G" and a name of that sentence for the
>second occurrence of "G" - in short, just what is needed to make sense
>of "if G then G is true". So it doesn't appear that you're a counterexample
>to my earlier claim that "anybody who can follow the discussion can also
>decide when a G–del sentence for S is to be substituted for 'G' in my
>comments, and when a term designating a G–del sentence for S is
>to be substituted for 'G'."

Unfortunately, there is another option for substitution than the ones
you have considered, so it would certainly be best if the intended
reading was precisely indicated.  I refer to the case where no quotes
are involved at all: after the 'then' the 'G' is short for 'that-G',
as in, for instance, 'If snow is white, then that snow is white is
true', which may also be written 'if snow is white, then it is true
that snow is white'.

I have even heard it said about Tarski's T-scheme, which implies in
this case 'if snow is white, then 'snow is white' is true', that it
was a *necessary truth*, on account of the common confusion between
that-clauses and quoted expressions .  The Tarskian conditional
cannot be necessary, since the connection between words and what they
stand for is always contingent; but the former conditional is
necessary, since it is just an instantiation of 'if p then Lp' where
'L' is the null or identity modality in the modal system T.
--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow