FOM: Goedel: truth and misinterpretations

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Thu Oct 26 12:26:58 EDT 2000

At 07:25 AM 10/26/00 +0200, Kanovei wrote:

>This does not answer the request of mathematical meaning
>of the "sentences".
>I would not be surprized that a skillful number-theorist can even
>convert Con ZFC to a diophantine system,

Actually, based on the work on Hilbert's 10th problem it's a routine
exercise for a student. In fact it's just a matter of inserting a suitable
(very large) integer for a parameter in a universal equation.

>  but despite a clear
>METAmathematical meaning of likes of Con ZFC, their mathematical
>meaning is questionable

It's clear that Professor Kanovei and I use the term "mathematical meaning"
quite differently. I can't imagine what would be clearer than an assertion
that a particular explicitly displayed system of polynomial equation has a
solution in natural numbers.

Martin

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley