FOM: Goedel: truth and misinterpretations

Kanovei kanovei at wmwap1.math.uni-wuppertal.de
Thu Oct 26 01:25:05 EDT 2000

> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:17:51 -0700
> From: Martin Davis <martin at eipye.com>
>
> that given any suitable theory, by choosing appropriate values for
> parameters, a system will be obtained that has no solutions but such that
> this fact is unprovable in the given system.
>
> To be clear: for a theory like ZFC the values of the parameters will be
> very large. But the algorithm for computing them is perfectly explicit.

This does not answer the request of mathematical meaning
of the "sentences".
I would not be surprized that a skillful number-theorist can even
convert Con ZFC to a diophantine system, but despite a clear
METAmathematical meaning of likes of Con ZFC, their mathematical
meaning is questionable (cf. the shockwaves from the
Harrington-Paris 1974 result)

V.Kanovei