CSC310F Fall 2005 - Textbook and Other Readings
The textbook for the class will likely be David Mackay's book,
Information Theory, Inference and Learning Algorithms.
The book is freely available online at
Readings (tentative list, watch for updates)
- We will be covering material from Parts I, II, III of the book.
- Read chapter 1 for Lectures 1,2 and first tutorial. The material
in chapter 2 may be a helpful review but is not directly part of the
- Read Chapters 4, 5,6 in Mackay's book. (Lectures 3-11b).
- Read Chapters 8 and 9 in Mackay's book (starting with Lecture 12).
- Read Chapters 10,11,47,50 in Mackay's book.
- The famous
- The 1987 paper Arithmetic Coding for Data Compression
by Witten, Neal, Cleary. is
- Shannon's classic paper, A Mathematical Theory of
Communication is available
- Huffman's famous 1952 paper, A Method for the Construction of
Minimum Redundancy Codes is available
- The notes from a
short course given by David Mackay in 1995, out of which his book
Course Information |
Lecture Schedule/Notes |
CSC310F - Information Theory || www.cs.toronto.edu/~roweis/csc310/