Ejection of Computer Science from Mathematics

dennis.hamilton at acm.org dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Tue Mar 7 10:37:36 EST 2023

Posted on behalf of Raphael.

From: Raphael Douady <rdouady at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2023 01:23
To: dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Subject: Re: Ejection of Computer Science from Mathematics

Dear Dennis,

Not only do I agree that they are not separable, but I would go way beyond the traditional relation between CS and logic.
With the development of neural networks and AI, we see that CS tackles methods involving math that are in many other areas than logic: geometry (differential geometry, analytic geometry), topology, functional analysis. There are several sciences "of the real", the theoretical aspect of which is math. This includes physics (is theoretical physics math, since it requires experimental validation on top of its logical validation?), data science, astronomy/cosmology, etc. Not counting life and social sciences. There is certainly, in each science, a dual approach: theoretical and experimental, since the essence of science is observation, but denying the math characterization of any theoretical aspect of any science is just a bit ridiculous.
My 2 cts...

Raphael Douady

Not sure how to post this answer to the group. Please post it for me if you know how to do it.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 1:26 PM <dennis.hamilton at acm.org <mailto:dennis.hamilton at acm.org> > wrote:
We can all play this game (below).

> [...]

Sidenote: Umm, isn't that what Gödel, Post, and Quine did with arithmetization
and scriptization?  Don't knock the stored-program concept and what it
demonstrates about the reach of computability.

[ long forwarding truncated by Dennis]