Mathematics with the potential infinite

Stephen G. Simpson sgslogic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:34:54 EST 2023

Philosophically, the distinction between potential infinity and actual
infinity is of great importance for mathematics.  So far as I know, the
first substantial discussion of this distinction is in Books M and N of
Aristotle's Metaphysics.

In modern foundational studies, Hilbert's Program plays a key role.
Hilbert's Program is, to give a "finitistic" proof of the consistency of
"infinitistic" mathematics.   One can argue about how to formalize what we
mean by "finitism," but philosophically I believe that "finitism" is
essentially a commitment to eschew actual infinities and reason solely with
potential infinities.

William W. Tait, in his 1967 paper "Constructive reasoning" and his 1981
paper "Finitism," argued that the "finitism" in Hilbert's Program is
correctly formalized as PRA (= Primitive Recursive Arithmetic).  Accepting
this argument of Tait, I argued in my 1988 paper "Partial realizations of
Hilbert's Program" that Hilbert's Program has been largely successful,
despite Gödel.  My argument is based on the study of certain formal systems
which, while not finitistic, are "finitistically reducible" in the sense
that they are conservative over PRA for finitistically meaningful
sentences.  The point is that these systems are mathematically powerful in
that they account for much of classical analysis, algebra, geometry, etc.
But of course "PA is consistent" is not provable in PRA, and this seems to
be relevant for Timothy Y. Chow's question.

A popular exposition of my ideas on this is my 2020 paper "Foundations of
mathematics: an optimistic message."  The paper consists of the text and
slides of a talk for a *general audience*, i.e., an audience of
non-mathematicians.

Stephen G. Simpson
Research Professor

Department of Mathematics