A question about finitism

Montgomery Link mlink at bu.edu
Mon Feb 20 13:42:55 EST 2023

Dear Professor Gaifman,

Thank you for your Email, and the "rule that generates the sequence," and
thanks to Professor Pratt for the "gapless geodesic."  May I please ask a
question?

In your first Email below you mentioned "questions that arise within the
framework of the potential infinite."  In your second Email, you mentioned
that one might adopt a suggestion of Professor Tait's and take Skolem's
primitive recursive arithmetic as "the theory of potential, non-actual
infinity."  I agree completely with that suggestion and with your response
to Professor Avron. Let us delay for the moment the issue of the explicit
characterization of the potential infinite.

The main issue might be approached along slightly different lines.  Start
with zero and add one, then repeat the addition.  How many repetitions of
that operation are permitted? One might want to restrict the number of
repetitions to what is humanly feasible.  But there seems to be no clear
demarcation for what is feasible and what is not.  There is no stability
here without a clear limit, nothing with which to work. "Later," as it
were, the infinitary stage of the actual finished totality of all the
natural numbers arises. This is not the first or the biggest jump. The big
jump has already been taken once one moves away from any attempt to limit
the feasible. For what is needed is a unit or stable limit to work with,
and that is not provided by the feasible alone.

You mentioned a finitism in your first Email as sequential extensions based
on proper initial segments of the natural numbers. The Aristotelian
questions about the potential v. the actual infinite and the jump from the
potential to the actual, whatever that entails, already presuppose the main
jump.  The biggest jump is from the strictly finite to the finite, where
the difference would be that there is some n>m that is not allowed to
extend m, or there is no such.  In the second case, there is a rule that
generates sequences from m to any n>m.  A long time ago, when Kurt Goedel
and Hao Wang used to talk about this issue, their angle was to delay for
later talk about the potential and the actual infinite.  This was not
merely a division of labor strategy.  The question of the potential versus
the actual infinite does not even arise at first in the sense that it
cannot yet be formulated.  There are so many elegant statements from a
number of sources, but one version on my desk in front of me Wang gives as
follows (LJ, p. 213):

"It is well known, for instance, that both Hilbert's finitism and Brouwer's
intuitionism take this big jump for granted. Indeed, it is only after the
big jump has been made that familiar issues over potential and actual
infinity, construction and description, predicative and impredicative
definitions, countable and uncountable sets, strong axioms of infinity, and
so on arise in their current form."

Enderton's Elements has different kinds of ordinal operations: monotone,
continuous, and normal (p. 216). The jump from a monotone to a continuous
operation is the jump from successor to limit ordinals, but, and I'll say
it once again before closing, the biggest jump has already been taken with
the formalization of monotone operations.

Sorry to go on so long and thank you for your patience.

Yours,

Montgomery Link

Quick References

Enderton, H.B. Elements of Set Theory (Boston: Academic, 1977).
Wang, H. A Logical Journey (Cambridge: MIT Press, 1996).