Re[2]: ​Mathematics with the potential infinite

Matthias matthias.eberl at mail.de
Fri Feb 3 09:51:11 EST 2023

Just a short remark to Zeno's paradoxes.

Since the potential infinite is actually a form of finiteness, from this
perspective the number line or timeline does not have an (actual)
infinite number of points, but it is infinitely divisible. So we can
increase the number of points and intervals on the line indefinitely,
and we can make the intervals as small as we want, but there are only
finitely many of them at each step.  The number line has infinitely many
points only in the sense that for any finite number, say n, we can
increase the number of points and decrease the size of the intervals so
that there are more than n (end)points.

Zeno's paradoxes existed for the ancient Greeks. But after Cantor, most
mathematicians accepted actual infinities to a large extend, including
the idea that the number line is identical to an uncountable set of
points. This led to further paradoxes, most notably the Banach-Tarski
paradox.

Regards, Matthias

------ Originalnachricht ------
Von "Vaughan Pratt" <pratt at cs.stanford.edu>
An fom at cs.nyu.edu
Datum 01.02.2023 02:54:56
Betreff Re: ​Mathematics with the potential infinite