Some remarks on Gödelian style ontological arguments

Frode Bjørdal frode.bjordal at ifikk.uio.no
Tue Nov 15 13:17:43 EST 2022

Many contributions to the literature are in the bibliographies of B. W.
Paleo & A. Kanckos, Variants of Gödel’s Ontological Proof in a Natural
Deduction Calculus, Studia Logica 105 (3):553-586, (2017); A. Kanckos & T.
Lethen, The Development of Gödel’s Ontological Proof, The Review of
Symbolic Logic, 14 (4): 1011-1029, (2021) and F. A. Bjørdal, All Properties
are Divine or God exists, Logic and Logical Philosophy 3 (27):329-350, (
2018).

A central result of the last paper is that we may altogether avoid the use
of axioms, to obtain the thesis stated, if we presuppose a third order
impredicative modal logic, and the use of Gödelian style definitions. This
satisfies a promissory note issued at the end of  F. A. Bjørdal,
Understanding Gödel's Ontological Argument, in T. Childers (ed.), The
Logica Yearbook 1998, Prague 1999, 214-217.

The result of Bjørdal (2018) is of interest in as far as higher order modal
logic with impredicative comprehension are of interest for such reasoning
as is discussed.

Notice that the thesis of the title of Bjørdal (2018) may combine well with
such pantheistic proposals as the one considered by Vaughan Pratt.

Towards the end of the paper I suggest what I call an
*apathiatheistic* attitude:
"I have, as opposed to the theophilic and theophobic attitudes considered
by Roberto Magari in Logica e teofilia, Notizie di Logica VII, 4 (1988):
11–20., come to adopt what I call an apathiatheistic opinion according to
which the best concepts ‘God’ cum understandings of reality are such that
the question as to whether there is a God or not is academic in a sense
similar to the question as to whether there are holes or just holed things."I
have, as opposed to the
theophilicandtheophobicattitudes con-sidered by Magari in [21], come to
adopt what I call anapathiatheisticopinion according to which the best
concepts ‘God’ cum understandingsof reality are such that the question as
to whether there is a God or notis academic in a sense similar to the
question as to whether there areholes or just things