Bourbaki and foundations

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Tue May 24 20:03:44 EDT 2022

FOM:
Robert Black writes:

Today I think everyone would agree with
this

 I don't agree.  I think universal algebra should be taught first, then groups, rings, and modules, then category theory.  Category theory is an advanced topic, and is best introduced after some exposure to basic categories of mathematics as examples.  My book   https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337170781_Introductory_Algebra_Topology_and_Category_Theorydoes this,  Basic topology is covered after category theory because the important limits and colimits can be constructed via the forgetful functor to Set.  I also cover linear algebra, model theory (including first order logic), and computability before category theory.  The intention of the book is to provide an introduction to a moderately wide range of mathematical subjects to 4th year undergraduates headed to graduate school.
Note also that naive set theory is required for universal algebra, and students are well exposed to this by 4th year.

Martin Dowd