Studying Ontological Arguments with Computers: The Logic and Religion Webinar, May 12

FRANCISCO MARIANO assismariano at ufrn.edu.br
Mon May 9 09:00:00 EDT 2022

Dear Colleague,

You are invited to participate in the next session of the Logic and
Religion Webinar Series which will be held on May 12, 2022, at 4pm CET with
the topic:

Studying Ontological Arguments with Computers

*Speaker*: *Christoph Benzmueller
<http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/cbenzmueller/>* (Free University of Berlin,
Germany)

*Chair*:  *Andrea Vestrucci
<https://www.sksm.edu/people/andrea-vestrucci/>* (Graduate
Theological Union, USA)

Please register in advance!
https://www.logicandreligion.com/webinars

Abstract: Several emendations of Gödel's modal ontological argument have
been proposed persevering the intended conclusion of God's necessary
existence while avoiding the problem of modal collapse, which expresses
that there are no contingent truths (everything is determined, there is no
free will). In this webinar, we summarize recent computer-supported
verification studies on some of these modern variants of the ontological
argument. Our purpose is to provide further evidence that the interaction
with computer technology can not only enable the formal assessment of
ontological arguments but can, in fact, help to sharpen our conceptual
understanding of the notions and concepts involved.

With best wishes,

Francisco de Assis Mariano

The University of Missouri-Columbia

LARA Secretary