Why is "0# exists" independent?

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:24:17 EDT 2022

*regarding *
*martdowd *
*Fri Jun 24 19:50:07 EDT 2022*
https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2022-June/023453.html

What I think you are saying is that in the usual large cardinal hierarchy
there is a huge jump to get to the spot where "0# exists" is provable.

I'm not sure that this is true. The jump is from

there exists kappa such that for all countable alpha, kappa arrows alpha

there exists kappa such that kappa arrows omega_1

which doesn't seem like much of a jump.

Also the following are provably equivalent to the existence of 0#:

there exists kappa such that kappa arrows omega_1 for constructible
partitions

there exists kappa such that kappa arrows kappa for constructible
partitions.

Harvey Friedman