Towards formalization of Fermat's Last Theorem

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Tue Jan 11 16:50:27 EST 2022

Freek Wiedijk wrote:

> Formalization of a proof of Fermat's Last Theorem is one of the Grand
> Challenges of formalization of mathematics.  We are considering what is
> the best way to get started on this. In particular we currently created
> a project for this, see
>
>  https://www.cs.ru.nl/~freek/fltfps/
>
> The idea of this project is _not_ to start by formalizing proofs, but
> first to formalize _definitions_ and high level _statements,_ both to
> show the mathematical communicty what formalized mathematics looks like,
> and to create a road map for a full formalization.  The approach is
> similar to the one of Tom Hales' Formal Abstracts project.
>
> My question: does this sound reasonable, or will a different approach be
> better?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a comment.  I
believe that this project will attract wider interest if, at the end, you
are able to answer the question, what are the weakest axioms needed to
prove Fermat's Last Theorem?

For example, it is a frequently asked question whether Fermat's Last
Theorem is provable in PA.  This question is addressed, for example, in
Angus Macintyre's appendix to Chapter 1, "The Impact of Gödel's
Incompleteness Theorems on Mathematics, of the book "Kurt Gödel and the
Foundations of Mathematics: Horizons of Truth" (Cambridge University
Press, 2011).  I happen to think that this question is often asked with
slightly misguided presuppositions; the asker is usually trying to ask if
there is an "elementary" proof of FLT.  Macintyre's sketch, which in
essence tries to replace all the fancy mathematical machinery in the proof
with "finite approximations," addresses the literal question of whether
FLT is provable in PA, but is also not what the "mathematician in the
street" would think of as an "elementary proof."  Be that as it may, the
question of which axioms are really needed to prove FLT continues to
fascinate many people, so if you are able to give a definitive answer, I'm
sure there would be a lot of interest.

Tim