the physicalization of metamathematics

Studtmann, Paul pastudtmann at davidson.edu
Sat Aug 6 07:37:55 EDT 2022

Jose M wrote:

Before deciding whether the evaluation of the formula you provided is a coincidence, it is important to formalize what is the cosmological constant of a deductive system, e.g., mathematics. For that, we need Einstein's field equations.

There is presumably another way to decide whether it is a coincidence: There might be empirical evidence that the formula is correct. It predicts that when the universe is 20 billion years old, the cosmological constant will be 1.377*10^(-122). If at year 20 billion that prediction is confirmed, it would be difficult to conclude that it is a coincidence. Indeed, I think it is hard to conclude that it is a coincidence with just the one data point that we have, but I am biased.

I am not saying that the formula provides a ‘solution’ to the cosmological constant problem. One would of course want some deduction of the formula from first physical principles for a solution. Maybe Wolfram’s Physics Project will discover such a deduction.

All the best,

Paul Studtmann