Confluence in number-theoretic rewriting systems

Frédéric Blanqui frederic.blanqui at inria.fr
Tue Oct 12 02:14:28 EDT 2021

Hello. I invite you to have a look at more recent results on confluence.
For instance, the results of Vincent van Oostrom
(http://cl-informatik.uibk.ac.at/members/vincent/). See
https://dblp.uni-trier.de/pid/69/3031.html and more specifically
https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-70590-1_21, one of his papers on
confluence by decreasing diagrams: "The decreasing diagrams technique is
a complete method to reduce confluence of a rewrite relation to local
confluence. Whereas previous presentations have focussed on the /proof/
the technique is correct, here we focus on /applicability/. We present a
simple but powerful generalisation of the technique, requiring peaks to
be closed only by conversions instead of valleys, which is demonstrated
to further ease applicability." You may also be interested in submitting
your problem on the rewriting at ens-lyon.fr mailing list, and the
confluence competition (http://project-coco.uibk.ac.at/). Best regards,
Frédéric.