Confluence in number-theoretic rewriting systems

José Manuel Rodríguez Caballero josephcmac at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 20:50:17 EDT 2021

Dear FOM members,
  The study of whether a string rewriting system is confluent is a problem
relevant to the fundamentals of mathematics and computer science. There are
many famous results in this direction, eg the Church-Rosser theorem [1] for
lambda calculus, Matsumoto theorem [2] for Coxeter groups. I would like to
ask if there is a known method of deciding confluence in the following
class of rewriting systems.

  Consider the substitution rules:

Rule 0: replace x by a*x + b

Rule 1: replace x by c*x + d

where (a, b, c, d) are positive integers. For simplicity, I will write x
--> {a x + b, c x + d}. Assume that the domain of x is the set of positive
integers. The properties of this rewriting system are tightly dependent on
the arithmetical properties of the parameters. For example, it is easy to
prove that

x --> { 4 x + 3, 2 x + 1 }

is confluent and its graph is grid-like (code in Mathematica to obtain this
graph):

NestGraph[{4*#+3, 2*#+1} &, 1, 7]//LayeredGraphPlot

Also, it is easy to prove that

x --> {4 x + 1, 2 x + 1}

is not confluent, and its graph is tree-like:

NestGraph[{4*#+1, 2*#+1} &, 1, 7]//LayeredGraphPlot

The problem arises when we consider the system

x --> {3 x + 1, 2 x + 1}

which has a resolution of some critical pairs, e.g.,

3 --> 7 --> 15 --> 31

and

3 --> 10 --> 31

but other critical pairs like

4 --> 9

and

4 --> 13

seems to be impossible to resolve according to the computational evidence.

I wonder if there is a general method to decide the confluence in the class
of rewriting systems x --> {a x + b, c x + d} as a function of the
coefficients (a, b, c, d). If this problem turns out undecidable, I guess
that the proof should be similar to Conway's proof of the undecidability of
the generalized 3x+1 problem [3], i.e., transforming this problem into a
universal Turing machine and applying the undecidability of the Halting
problem.

Kind regards,
José M.