Davis's honor roll

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Thu Jun 24 10:36:52 EDT 2021

At https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2003-May/006665.html Martin Davis
writes:

> I'm fond of noting that the list of logicians who have seriously proposed
> formal systems that turned out to be inconsistent reads like an honor roll:
> Frege, Church, Curry, Quine, Rosser.
I wrote up that list (with some additions) the other day

https://richardzach.org/2021/06/23/famous-logicians-and-their-inconsistent-theories/

and then Panu Raatikainen reminded me of Martin's post.

My question is: which theory of Rosser's proved to be inconsistent and
who showed it inconsistent?

Are there other examples? (I already have Russell's substitutional
theory, Kreisel's theory of constructions, and the 1971 version of
Martin-Löf type theory.)

There was some discussion of whether Reinhardt belongs on the list, ie,
whether the existence of a Reinhardt cardinal was proposed as an axiom
rather than merely put forward as a question -- perhaps someone who has
access to Reinhardt's thesis can clarify -- or someone who was there at
the time like Bob Solovay!?

-Richard