Talmudic Logic Project - LUWebinar - June 23 - 4 pm CET

jean-yves beziau beziau100 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 22:06:23 EDT 2021

Speakers: Dov Gabbay and Tim Kampik ."The Talmudic Logic Project"
Abstract: We describe the state of the Talmudic Logic project. The Talmud
is the most comprehensive and fundamental work of Jewish religious law,
employing a large number of logical components centuries ahead of their
time. In many cases the basic principles are not explicitly formulated,
which makes it difficult to formalize and make available to the modern
student of Logic. This project on Talmudic Logic, aims to present logical
analysis of Talmudic reasoning using modern logical tools.
The aims of the project are two fold:
(1) To import into the Talmudic study modern logical methods with a view to
help understand complicated Talmudic passages, which otherwise cannot be
addressed.
(2) To export from the Talmud new logical principles which are innovative
and useful to modern contemporary logic.
As an example we present late-breaking results, in particular an
argumentation approach for the treatment of doubt in Talmudic Logic, for
which we can prove the satisfaction of a principle that comes from
microeconomic theory, and which can be applied to other domains such as
business decision automation and legal reasoning.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11787-019-00228-y

Chair: Stanisław Krajewski and Marcin Trepczyński, organizers of
the 2nd WORLD CONGRESS ON LOGIC AND RELIGION
https://www.logicandreligion.com/2nd-world-congress
editors of the LU special issue "Theological Discourse and Logic"
https://link.springer.com/journal/11787/volumes-and-issues/13-4

Associate Organization: Logic And Religion Association (LARA)
presented by its president Ricardo Silvestre
https://www.logicandreligion.com/lara

Registrate here to attend this Logica Universalis Webinar (LUW)  session:
https://www.springer.com/journal/11787/updates/18988758

Jean-Yves Beziau
Organizer of LUW and President of LUA
http://www.logica-universalis.org/LUAD