proof methods

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Wed Nov 11 09:43:49 EST 2020

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020, Buday Gergely wrote:
> My answer is: to have a taxonomy of general proof methods, so that I can
> investigate them, how much they are amenable to formalization in a
> theorem prover.

Ah!  Yes, this is now a specific question.  However, I'm not really
competent to answer it.  A proof taxonomy that makes sense to a human does
not necessarily translate into a research program for people working on
formal proofs.  In particular, I'm not even sure that it makes sense to
think of the current challenges facing proof assistants as being
formalizing *kinds of proofs*.  For example, Tom Hales's criticisms of
Lean a couple years ago focused a lot on the difficulties with dealing
with *mathematical structures* rather than *kinds of proofs*:

https://jiggerwit.wordpress.com/2018/09/18/a-review-of-the-lean-theorem-prover/

Presumably you're aware of the Xena project?

https://xenaproject.wordpress.com/what-is-the-xena-project/

Buzzard wants to formalize the entire undergraduate curriculum in Lean.

Tim